Hazardous Materials in Your Home?

Hazardous Materials in Your Home?
Cleaning Out the Basement & Garage :

What to do with all the things the regular recycling outlets won't take?

Cleaning and clearing feels great and looks great too.  But some items aren't easy to dispose of safely.  Regular recycling outlets and street pick up want nothing to do with aerosol cans, herbicides, pesticides, household chemicals, corrosives and other toxic materials with the poison symbol on the labels.  You can't just pour them down the drain or toss them in the garbage.  So what to do?

Here in the Lower Mainland, check out Recycle It Canada at  located at 12202 Old Yale Road.  It's not a government sponsored service so there is cost involved but it's a relief to know that you're able to move those hazardous wastes safely without harming our environment.

Box up your items and take them to the depot.  Staff will look at what you've got and give you a quote on what they charge to deal with it.  Costs vary depending on what you have.  For instance, aerosol cans are $4 each, pesticides $10/litre or 4 lb fire extinguisher is $20.  You can see more examples on-line, email or call 604-587-5865 to ask specific questions.  If you have more than you can bring to the depot, you can arrange to have them pick it up.



No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.